Saturday, March 14, 2009

Last class ever!


Man, take away just a bit of accountability (i.e. my project is formally done), and I start missing my post commitments right away. So apologies that it's already Saturday. 

Yesterday I took my last class ever! Definitely bittersweet. It was one of my favourite classes (the one I built our little energy efficient house for), with my favourite prof. I had fun presenting some cool results of our project -- I think I like teaching more than I realise, even though I don't know if I'm any good. Our TAs put on amazing variety show, including this stellar music video.  

I did a couple rounds through school to say goodbye to whomever was around. Many were a little shocked that I was done done, and were convinced that I'd still be around. I gave pretty vague answers of where on earth I'd be in a few months. 

This reminded me of how I've been a bit nervous to stick around in the area. I think it relates to how I've mentally prepared myself to go far, far away, and not stay here as is somewhat the norm. 

I hear back next week from one of the jobs I interviewed with, so I'll know fairly soon what my fate is. 

A friend gave me some great advice related to this last night. If I truly am anxious about getting stuck here, give myself a deadline -- this job is only for X [probably 3] years, and then I leave for where I really want to be. And build in a safety valve, i.e. I'll stay only if I find [this amazingly awesome job/partner/lifestyle/whatever]. 

Another really cool opportunity I'm checking out is to be a d.school fellow. Considering how much effort I've put in the application even over the past couple days, when I certainly have lots of other things I could be doing, I know I'm super excited about it. Even though my chances are maybe 1 in 40. 


In other news, I passed my indpendent study! My advisor apparently liked reading through my progress. 

I head off for my travels next week, so this may turn into a travelogue. And I certainly won't be posting all that frequently. 


Have a fantastic weekend,
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment