Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Break Time

I am quite grateful for my friends tonight who facilitated a much-needed distraction. I've been feeling the stress recently of final projects looming, plus trip planning, paying taxes, and all this other junk that I need to finish before I leave. So despite having tons to do, I went climbing earlier this evening with two friends, and then joined in a spontaneous and surprisingly elaborate dinner afterwards. 

Normally, climbing or dinner with friends are more than enough to make me forget about whatever's bugging me. But it took me until I got home tonight to actually feel relaxed. I wonder if it's because I didn't leave time in the beginning of those activities to let go. Maybe it's not just the activity itself that matters, but the mental transition to that activity that helps clear the mind? Or I could just be too exhausted to be able to appreciate my fun time? 

One friend at dinner reinforced the concept of small actions that lead to happiness. His subtley was that those actions (e.g. "What 3 things made me happy today?") are effective, as long as they're not a chore. Maybe I've been looking at fun activities as an obligation? 

Blogging thus far has been great for keeping me accountable, but I admit it's a lot of pressure I put on myself to write something profound twice a week. I haven't recently been able to use it as a tool for exploration. And ironically, I've developed a bit of stress about designing my final project for this class. I have some ideas, but am a bit concerned about the execution. 


On that note, I'm going to presume my current (albeit brief) malaise is from being way too tired.


Time to take a break, and off to bed!
-Emma


P.S. Lest you be concerned that I'm falling too much back into a pit of anxiety again, I did have a great week -- started yoga again (hip hurts way less!), hung out with good friends, cooked some good meals, and am mostly enjoying the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment