Friday, February 13, 2009

Everything happens for a reason


My college roommate would often give this advice, which I've usually found rather helpful in times of uncertainty or distress. I've never interpreted this quote as a fatalistic approach. Instead I use it to remind myself that good things come out of seemingly unfortunate events. 

My thoughts today circle around serendipity. I noticed this especially yesterday when I bumped into 2 friends at a coffee shop while I was catching up with another friend I hadn't seen in awhile. I had been slightly bummed that I hadn't been able to meet with someone about a job (he had an extremely good reason to cancel at the last minute), but instead was grateful for the extra time I had just for myself. Unexpectedly seeing good friends all in one place signifigantly brightened up my day. 
  
This seemingly random encounter links to my thoughts about community building last week. If people who make you smile live or hang out near each other, then such a convergence is not so unexpected after all. The trick is to either become friends with the people who live around you -- which relies partly on you wanting to befriend those folks, and on you being around long enough for those relationships to develop; or to get your friends all come live near you. 

I've been somewhat conflicted still about the close vs. far-reaching approach to community. I love having friends all over the world from my many life phases and adventures. In my round-the-world trip coming up next month, I plan to stay with friends or their friends and family throughout the whole time. 

But I also want to be in a place where I can serendipetously meet a friend I pass by in the park. Or teach a cooking class regularly at the local Boys & Girls Club, which I did for first time tonight (and it was so much fun!). Plus this lifestyle is much more energy- and climate-friendly. Definitely not sustainable to have everyone flying around the world all the time to visit their dispersed loved-ones.  

I meant for this to be slightly more thoughtful, but I really need to be done with this now. My serendipetous encounter this evening was when I went from being very lonely at home to now all my roommates being here and hanging out together. So I'm glad that I stayed in tonight after all.  

I should also note that have indeed noticed that there's this thing called Valentine's Day tomorrow. Despite knowing full well that this should not bother me in the least, seeing . I should instead be grateful that I don't need to coordinate my next phase in life with anyone else, and that I can shape myself in this next step however I like. 

Ok, I'm out. I need to remember not to procrastinate until late Friday night to write!  


Have a lovely weekend,
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment