Monday, January 12, 2009

Solve the right problem


I discovered a new approach tonight in my design school class, Transformative Design. The session was about "personal transformation." One task involved writing a sentence about a problem that's bugging you. I wrote "How do I eliminate my anxiety about what to do next with my life?"  

The next step is to answer what would happen if you solved the original question. Well, I'd be happier and would be able to enjoy my life more now. This, then, is the actual question ("How do I become happier and enjoy life more?"), while the original problem is just one solution.  

Apparently, according to the professor, my real solution is simple: "Just stop worrying. Let go of your problems and don't let them become part of your identity." 

I could easily say that I can't do it. But I'm willing to apply my newfound d.school approach of not shooting down ideas in the brainstorming phase. So stay tuned for what happens when I "just stop worrying." 

I'll also work on identifying underlying problems on other things I've been concerned about. Like getting a job. If I get a job, then what? One answer is that I'll be able to pay for rent and other things like traveling around the world. So to solve this, today I just took out a crapload more loans to cover me in the meantime, in case I don't find another source of income any time soon. I think that'll help me "just stop worrying."

I'm now reading a chapter on "anxiety" in The Courage to Be. The author proposes that anxiety is what happens when you face meaninglessness. Perhaps I'm simply looking for meaning in myself or validation through a job? I should know that this is fairly ridiculous, but the association of work/meaning still creeps up on me; perhaps from being in business school too long. Another thing I simply need to let go of. 


With slightly more clarity,
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment